Agreement Terms & Conditions
Rights & Responsibilities
You may cancel your PowerBill plan at any time without cost or penalty by providing 10 days written notice.
You agree to pay your bill on the 2nd business day following the statement date of the monthly invoice.
We agree to sell you gas and/or electricity as requested by you, based on the agreed upon price, plus applicable charges and our flat Administration Charge of $7.50 per service.
We will respect your privacy and comply with applicable legislation.
We will provide you with a monthly bill that outlines your gas usage and applicable charges.
We will charge you a late payment charge if you don’t pay your bill on time.
Your account will be charged a $45 fee should your payment be returned NSF and will be automatically processed again within 2 business days (email notification sent with regards to reprocessing date) unless specific payment arrangements have been confirmed in writing prior to re-processing. Should the second attempt at processing return NSF, the account will be pending cancellation.
If your payment history or credit worthiness is not satisfactory, we may require a security deposit or cancel your PowerBill Retail Plan.
ESSENTIAL AGREEMENT INFORMATION
I, the customer, choose PowerBill (PowerBill) to supply natural gas and/or electricity to the Site ID(s) enrolled under PowerBill’s Retail Plan Contract (“Contract”). I understand and accept:
- This Contract does not guarantee financial savings. PowerBill rates are not regulated by any provincial or municipal government or agency. PowerBill is not affiliated with the Government of Alberta.
- I have been provided on line access via www.powerbill.com from which I can obtain a copy of the contract plus PowerBill’s Disclosure Agreement, PAD agreement and the Compliance Plan.
- I have the right, by law, to cancel this Contract (by email or registered mail) without cost or penalty with 10 days notice and is acknowledged as being received by PowerBill. In the situation where the Contract is processed online the effective date of the Contract is the date and time of acknowledgement by PowerBill.
- By signing the Contract and/or digitally acknowledging acceptance of the Contract (www.powerbill.com), I agree to buy natural gas and/or electricity from PowerBill at the price and for the term set out above.
- The term of this Contract for the Site ID(s) enrolled will automatically continue on a month to month basis unless the Contract is cancelled.
- Without penalty or exit fees, I can cancel or change the Contract at any time by giving PowerBill at least 10 days’ written notice in the appropriate form.
- Other than any fixed or variable plan in effect for your site,PowerBill may change, modify, add, or remove portions of this agreement (including the administrative charge and the transaction fee) at any time and at our sole discretion. Before doing so, however, we will provide you with at least (30) days advance notice of the proposed change. Notice of any changes that we make to this Agreement will be given to you in a manner described herein. The notice may include a link to our website, on the customer portal or an email notification.
The table below sets out the basic rights and obligations of each of us under this agreement. It is intended to be a brief summary that will enable you to easily understand your PowerBill plan. If you have questions please email customer service at email@example.com or call 1-855-637-2868.
POWERBILL TERMS & CONDITIONS
Reference in this contract to “PowerBill”, “we”, “our” or “us”; it means PowerBill Utility Billing Solutions Inc.., except where context requires otherwise.
1.2 Buyers’ Right to Cancel
You may cancel this contract from the day you enter into the contract with 10 days written notice. You do not need a reason to cancel.
To cancel, you must give notice of cancellation at the address or email address in this contract. You must give notice of cancellation by a method that will allow you to prove that you gave notice, including registered mail and email.
You are entitled to cancel this contract without cost or penalty if a marketing contract, including an Internet or Telephone marketing contract, presently exists for the same property, except where the existing marketing contract is to expire on or before the commencement of this contract.
You are also entitled to cancel the contract without penalty within one year from the date the marketing contract is entered into if the contract does not specify the date on which it is to begin, if the supply of energy does not begin within 30 days of the date stated in the contract, or if the marketer was not properly licenced at the time the contract was entered into.
1.2 Your Basic Cancellation Right
Your rights of cancellation during the cooling-off periods are in addition to your basic cancellation rights. You may cancel this Contract at any time without penalty by providing us with l0 days’ written notice.
The NATURAL GAS charge you agree to pay for the gas we supply to you is set out in the Sign-up Form, and is based on the Flow-through*. You agree to pay for and we agree to sell you gas based on the agreed gas charge, plus applicable charges.
2.2 Floating Natural Gas Rate Plan (5 yr term auto renewal)
The Floating gas rate is calculated as the wholesale cost of gas plus .89 cents/GJ. Markup on the flow-through is subject to change with due notice.
The ELECTRICITY charge you agree to pay for the electricity we supply to you is set out in the Sign-up Form, and is based on the Floating Electricity Rate**. You agree to pay for and we agree to sell you electricity based on the agreed electricity charge, plus applicable charges.
2.3 Floating Electricity Rate (5 yr term auto renewal)
The Floating Electricity Rate is calculated on flow-through prices that are based on hourly Alberta Pool prices plus 1 cent/KwH. Markup on Floating Electricity Rate is subject to change with due notice.
*Flow-through price and are based on daily wholesale market prices in Alberta with additional charges to reflect transportation charges and administrative fees.
**Flow-through prices for electricity are based on hourly Alberta Pool prices with additional charges to reflect line losses and unaccounted for energy, load shaping and administrative fees.
2.4 Fixed Natural Gas and Electricity Rate Plans
Upon entering the fixed term contract with PowerBill we guarantee the rate for a 1 year term from the date of enrolment. By cancelling this contract before the end of the 1 year term, an early exit fee of $75.00 will be charged.
The exit fee will apply to any rate changes, moves or cancellations. Exceptions do apply:
Moving locations in the middle of the contract term, the contract will be amended with the new location and transferred to the new address without charge. Should the move be outside of Alberta or within a coop area (or any other reason PowerBill is not able to transfer the agreement), the contract will be terminated and the early exit fee will be charged.
Rate plans are not transferrable to another occupant. The new occupant is required to select a plan from the current rates being offered.
End of contract notice will be provided in writing 30 days prior to the end date.
2.5 Additional Charges
In addition to the gas and/or electricity charge, you are responsible for Administration Charges and other charges related to the supply of gas and/or electricity to your site. We will show all such charges as separate line items on your bill.
2.6 Deposits and Pre-Payment
PowerBill may require you to pay a Deposit/Pre-Payment in an amount determined by PowerBill, including without limitation, under the following circumstance:
- If you do not have a satisfactory credit rating or credit history, as reasonably determined by PowerBill, or
- If you are a business and not a residential consumer.
The Deposit/Prepayment amount collected from the customer will be assigned to the prudential account and used as security. Where a customer has made all the required payments under the contract for one year from the date the customer enters into the contract, PowerBill shall refund the entire security deposit to the customer within 15 days from the date the last payment for that year was made.
2.7 Payment under this Agreement will be governed by the following terms:
- By providing PowerBill with your banking information, you authorize PowerBill to draw on your account with the branch of the financial institution where you maintain your account. This authorization cannot be cancelled if there is an outstanding billing balance due and payable to PowerBill
- You acknowledge this authorization is provided for the benefit of PowerBill and your bank, and is provided in consideration of your bank agreeing to process payments against your account in accordance with the rules of the Canadian Payments Association
- You acknowledge and agree that PowerBill may use your account and PAD details to pay total amount due (current amount due plus previous balance) found in your invoice relating to you as a Customer or your specific Site(s). For greater certainty, you hereby authorize PowerBill to utilize the account and PAD issued under this agreement to pay total amount due for other site(s) linked to you as a Customer
- The amount of the deposit must be debited from your account prior to the site enrollment.
- A security deposit may also be collected should your monthly invoice payment be returned NSF on more than one occasion, to be determined by PowerBill.
If PowerBill does not receive your normal monthly payment for gas and/or electricity consumed by the due date indicated on the invoice, PowerBill reserves the right to apply the funds from the Interest Account toward outstanding billed amounts and will unenroll you from the program. Any remaining funds in the account, including accrued interest, will be refunded to you.
You may cancel your gas and/or electricity contract at any time without penalty by providing PowerBill with 10 days’ written notice. Upon Contract termination and clearance of all outstanding charges accrued under the Contract, the remaining balance in the Interest Account, including accrued interest, will be refunded.
3.1 Start Date
Your Contract will begin on the effective date of enrolment of your Site ID(s) with the Distribution Company.
3.2 Conditions of Supply
Before we arrange for the supply of Gas and/or Electricity to your Site, and before this Contract comes into effect:
- You must meet our credit requirements, and
- The Distribution Company must enroll your Site with us designated as your retailer.
3.3 Credit Requirements
By signing this agreement, you agree to provide us with, and authorize us to request and receive third parties, reasonable financial and credit information. We shall use such credit information to determine if you meet our credit requirements, which we shall set from time to time at our sole discretion.
Subject to your credit worthiness, we may require a deposit for services, as described herein. You agree to always maintain credit worthiness to our satisfaction throughout the Terms of this Agreement, as hereinafter defined. If you do not maintain credit worthiness to our satisfaction, we may:
- Request a security deposit or
- Cancel this agreement at any time without notice and at our sole discretion, at which time PowerBill may utilize any deposit we hold to apply to any outstanding accounts
You hereby consent to our assessing your credit worthiness at any time prior to, or during, the Terms of this Agreement, at our sole discretion.
3.4 Appointing Us as Your Agent
By entering into this Contract, you appoint PowerBill as your limited agent to arrange for the supply of Gas and/or Electricity under this Contract. This agency ends when PowerBill has fulfilled its obligations under this Contract. We will act as your agent only for purposes directly related to this Contract. You authorize the Distribution Company to give us your consumption information and any related information that we may require. You agree that we are not your financial advisor and therefore have no liability for the choices you make with respect to your Gas and/or Electricity Plan.
3.5 Security Deposit
If you do not have satisfactory credit or payment history and/or refuse a credit check during sign up, at the sole discretion of PowerBill, we may require you to pay a deposit (“Security Deposit”). The security deposit shall be collected as follows:
- A security deposit of a minimum of $250 will be required should your credit not meet the satisfactory threshold of 660 in the credit check. An additional deposit may be required later (added to the first monthly invoice) for accounts with below satisfactory credit after a review of Historical Usage for the location enrolled
- PowerBill will withdraw the full amount of the Security Deposit pre-enrollment and enrollment will not occur until the security deposit is paid
- The security deposit will be fully refunded if this agreement is cancelled within the 10-day grace period after signing this agreement
- PowerBill shall hold the Security Deposit in a non-interest-bearing trust account and refund it in full to you if you make 12 consecutive required monthly payments without default and
- If you default on a payment while PowerBill is holding a Security Deposit, PowerBill may utilize the Security Deposit to pay any outstanding unpaid amounts and may, at its sole and absolute discretion, cancel, or terminate this Agreement without notice to you.
3.6 Unexpected/Uncontrollable Events (Force Majeure)
Due to the nature of Energy provision, certain events may occur beyond our control, which makes it impossible for PowerBill to provide Energy as contemplated by this Agreement. If such event occurs, we are not responsible for the provision of Energy so long as is impossible, nor are responsible for compensation for such Energy that cannot be provided. We will resume our obligations under this Agreement as soon as reasonably possible in such events and this Agreement will otherwise remain in full force and effect.
Please read this statement before you sign it. Before you enter into a marketing contract for the supply of energy you should understand the following:
- This contract is not an electricity or gas utility or government rebate program. The person who presented you with this contract represents PowerBill.
- The business named in this contract may not be able to supply energy cheaper than your current utility company.
- This contract can be ended only under the following conditions: you provide 10 days’ written notice by submitting the request for cancellation via email or registered mail.
- If you move to another location within Alberta you will not be responsible to buy energy under this contract.
- You may cancel this contract from the day you sign the contract. You do not need a reason to cancel the contract. To cancel the contract, you must give notice of cancellation at the address in the contract. You may give notice of cancellation by any method that will allow you to prove that you gave notice, including mail or e-mail. Under certain circumstances you may have more than 10 days to cancel the contract.
If you need more information on cancelling the contract, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, you may contact Service Alberta at 780-427-4088. Outside Edmonton call 1-877-427-4088 toll free.